The construction of house roof requires serious consideration whether building it from start or rebuilding an existing property. Style and design is a crucial factor. However, the more decisive factors are production cost, weight, raw materials and installation needs. Following are the things to be considered on this regard:
- Roofing area – Roof makers often discuss the ‘squares’. One square for them is equivalent to 100 sq feet area. It equals to ten foot by ten foot squares.
- Total Cost – The cost of new roof should be minutely considered. Roof shape is an important thing to consider here. It all depends if the house is being remodeled or needs repair and money will be invested here. Gable roof without breaks or fewer breaks on the planes such as chimneys, dormers or vent pipes requires plain roofing job. The houses having more than one chimney, connecting rooflines, skylights and turrets may cost higher in roofing.
- Raw materials – There isn’t any one stop solution for all roofing Things like slate and tiles are heavy materials and many houses aren’t structured to bear their load.
Below are the most popular roofing materials:
- Asphalt Shingle – It is comparatively lower in price and can be easily installed. However, the costs can eventually multiply based on the chosen shingle type and installation procedure. There are options here as well in terms of configuration sold.
- Wood – Wood is a material used from times immemorial although fire codes limit it uses at many places. Southern pine, cedar or redwood made shingles are either split or sawn. Their 25 year life expectancy may cost lower than expected.
- Metal – For roofing surface, metals like aluminum, copper, lead and steel are durable and costly. The copper or asphalt and the lead varieties are specifically installed as shingles.
- Cement and tile – Tile roofing in half cylinder styles are popular with mission systems and Spanish Colonials. Apart from cements, certain roof metals blend as wavy effect of tiles.
- Slate – Among the roofing materials, slate is the best durable product. It;s popular in Vermont, Quarries, Pennsylvania and other places. Even century old slates go under recycling to come into play for another hundred years.
Choosing the right roof
Those who are remodeling their roof, the existing roof determine the roofing material prices. People considering other alternatives should also think about color, durability, weight and texture.
Flashing as an exterior work is an important part of roofing. The metal/plastic film is installed in strips where unfamiliar materials are adjoining. It is significant to keep the entire structure watertight.
Irrespective of roofing materials choice, from a course to another the joints should be made as such they avoid leakage. Tar shouldn’t be used when constructing a fresh roofing surface. In normal areas, tarpaper and cedar shakes are laid on the roofs. Different setting is requited in snowy mountainous regions.